Valuation, sentiment, and SP direction

Wednesday, Jun 17 2009 by
17

Detailed discussion of Soco's assets should take place on other threads, but this thread is to discuss the latest valuations both by ourselves and analysts, sentiment (ie will the shares go nowhere because there's not much upcoming news) and likely moves in the share price in the next six months.  How should the shares be valued?  How reasonable is it that any drilling without a firm commitment further than several months away is ignored by the market?

I haven't seen many recent analysts' reports on Soco, but I have one from Cazenove with a core NAV of 1370p and no doubt considerable explo NAV on top of that.  I imagine that's approximately concensus, but maybe with crude rising again these concensus NAV figures will start to rise.  Has anyone any other recent broker estimates?

My view, as stated elsewhere, remains that in the absence of much to get the market excited the shares will wander aimlessly for the rest of 2009.  I've previously guessed that if crude were $65 at Christmas 09, then Soco's SP would be somewhere near £13 then, and I'm still very happy with that guess.  What does anyone else think?

Of course unexpected bids and other events may overtake this, but these sort of events may happen to any company, and perhaps Soco (where management seem unlikely to accept bids since they believe there is considerable value not recognised by the market) is one of the less likely companies to be affected by the unexpected.  The key new news for Soco might be (a) a bid (IMO unlikely), (b) some sort of presentation by management of the drilling data they claim to have that demonstrates a significant strike has been made at E, currently ignored by the mkt, or (c) possibly hitting oil off the Congo.

 

Moderation note: posts will only be deleted from this thread by the site admins or by agreement from at least three of sirlurkalot, emptyend, djpreston and doverbeach.  If three of this list agree to delete a post, the names of those three and the reason for deletion will be noted in a post on this thread so everything's completely transparent.


Disclaimer:  

As per our Terms of Use, Stockopedia is a financial news & data site, discussion forum and content aggregator. Our site should be used for educational & informational purposes only. We do not provide investment advice, recommendations or views as to whether an investment or strategy is suited to the investment needs of a specific individual. You should make your own decisions and seek independent professional advice before doing so. The author may own shares in any companies discussed, all opinions are his/her own & are general/impersonal. Remember: Shares can go down as well as up. Past performance is not a guide to future performance & investors may not get back the amount invested.


Do you like this Post?
Yes
No
23 thumbs up
6 thumbs down
Share this post with friends



SOCO International plc is an international oil and gas exploration and production company. The Company has oil and gas interests in Vietnam, which includes Block 9-2 and Block 16-1; Republic of Congo (Brazzaville), which includes Marine XI Block and Marine XIV Block, the Democratic Republic of Congo (Kinshasa), consists of Nganzi block and Block V and Angola, which include Cabinda Onshore North Block. The Company's operations are located in South East Asia and Africa. It holds its interests in the Republic of Congo (Brazzaville), through its 85%-owned subsidiary, SOCO Exploration and Production Congo SA (SOCO EPC). It holds its interests in the Democratic Republic of Congo (Kinshasa) through its 85%-owned subsidiary SOCO Exploration and Production DRC Sprl. The Company’s net entitlement volumes were approximately 15,500 barrels of oil equivalent per day. more »

Share Price (Full)
420p
Change
7.4  1.8%
P/E (fwd)
10.8
Yield (fwd)
4.1
Mkt Cap (£m)
1,394



  Is SOCO International fundamentally strong or weak? Find out More »


1284 Posts on this Thread show/hide all

jseth123 14th Dec '12 1025 of 1284
3

Appointment of Chief Operating Officer

SOCO is pleased to announce that Mr Antony Maris has been appointed Chief Operating Officer of the Company with immediate effect.

Antony joined the Company as Operations and Production Manager in 2004, becoming Vice-President - Operations & Production in 2008.

Ed Story, President and CEO of SOCO, said:

"We are delighted with this promotion and what it means for the Company. Antony has proved himself time and time again and we look forward to his continued positive input to the business".


http://www.investegate.co.uk/soco-international-(sia)/rns/appointment-of-coo/201212141048235595T/

Tick tock

| Link | Share | 1 reply
emptyend 14th Dec '12 1026 of 1284
1

In reply to jseth123, post #1025

FWIW, I'm not currently in clock-watching mode. I'm now thinking it more likely that the CPR reserves report will make an appearance before a deal is done - though that might still depend on whether full credit can be given for connectivity (and perhaps that is unlikely just yet?).

In short, though, nobody knows......

Either way, however, the news pipeline looks likely to have a fair slug of good stuff in it....

| Link | Share
extrader 14th Dec '12 1027 of 1284

Hi ee,

Some slippage to be expected on matters outwith (?) management control eg reserves report, but must admit to some disappointment that there's been no news on dividend possibilities, which is surely very much within their 'gift'.

But maybe Santa's not finished wrapping his parcel(s) yet !

ATB

| Link | Share
kenobi 14th Dec '12 1028 of 1284
2

But if , 

 I'm now thinking it more likely that the CPR reserves report will make an appearance before a deal is done

and yet,

There are no specific plans for an announcement outside of a normal release on other corporate issues

when will we even know what's in the report ?  

 Perhaps we won't actually find out until the connectivity theory is proven.  Perhaps the management are more convinced/bullish about this than they were at the results ?

K

 

| Link | Share | 2 replies
emptyend 15th Dec '12 1029 of 1284
1

In reply to kenobi, post #1028

and yet,

There are no specific plans for an announcement outside of a normal release on other corporate issues

when will we even know what's in the report ?  

 Perhaps we won't actually find out until the connectivity theory is proven.  Perhaps the management are more convinced/bullish about this than they were at the results ?

Indeed. That is, I think, the subtext to current events. The question of what the CPR has to say is looming large......

| Link | Share
peterg 15th Dec '12 1030 of 1284

In reply to kenobi, post #1028

Perhaps we won't actually find out until the connectivity theory is proven

Perhaps you would like to reword that a little? Otherwise we might have to wait quite a while. How about:

Perhaps we won't actually find out until the connectivity question is answered !


| Link | Share
MadDutch 16th Dec '12 1031 of 1284

I am getting fed up with the jam tomorrow attitude of the directors.

12 years is a long time to wait. Too long.

| Link | Share | 2 replies
tiswas 16th Dec '12 1032 of 1284
1

I am getting fed up with the jam tomorrow attitude of the directors.

12 years is a long time to wait. Too long.


That reminds me, is Isaac ok? Not heard from him recently.

| Link | Share
emptyend 16th Dec '12 1033 of 1284
3

In reply to MadDutch, post #1031

I am getting fed up with the jam tomorrow attitude of the directors.

Rarely have I read such rubbish!

It was, is, and always has been obvious that the company wouldn't monetise Vietnam until it was optimal to do so. The interests of directors in their role as shareholders dwarfs their interests as managers. I'd expect them to signal a distribution of some sort in the next few months, if they don't first do the deal I expect - management are just as keen on doing that as any shareholder is (apart from you, who was keen on seeing dividends well before it was prudent to consider paying any!).

I see no evidence whatsoever of a "jam tomorrow" attitude!

ee

| Link | Share
peterg 16th Dec '12 1034 of 1284
7

In reply to MadDutch, post #1031

12 years is a long time to wait. Too long.

Are you sure Isaac hasn't hacked your Stockopedia account, MD?

12 years ago you could buy 1 new Soco share for 31.5 (you would have had to buy 1 old share, 4 new shares, for 126p). With Friday's close of 368p that reperesents a compound return of 22.7%.

If that's jam, tomorrow, I want more!

| Link | Share | 1 reply
rhomboid1 16th Dec '12 1035 of 1284

In reply to peterg, post #1034

22.7 % compound... and that's before the end game !

| Link | Share
kenobi 17th Dec '12 1036 of 1284
8

Well I have some sympathy with MD myself, while on the one hand I would rather wait until conectivity can be proven, and they can sell up for a bumper price. On the other hand you have to wonder what the likelihood of that is.

The management were also pretty convinced that TGD would be the big one, but in the end that turned out to not work. So I for one would like to hear from the management what the plan is from here on in. They seem convinced and bullish about the connectivity, well what needs to happen to prove or disprove this theory, and how are they going to get the partners to agree to the work required to do this. If they cannot convince the reserves review people, why not ? And how are they plan to convince a buyer ??

I remember Jseth saying at the agm (and I hope I'm not mis quoting), that he didn't want H5 to become the new TGD, the new reason why they can't sell vietnamn, which might run for years. Well I feel the same about connectivity, I would like the management to explain what their plans are re this. so that if it's now another long stretch people can decide for themselves if they want to hold the stock and at least have a feeling of where we are going. It just seems that every time we reach the point we've long been waiting for, to monetise vietnam, there is some other glitch/delay/issue. And obviously, they need to say something about their thoughts on paying some kind of special divi, (or ongoing),

G




| Link | Share | 1 reply
davjo 17th Dec '12 1037 of 1284
3

I remember Jseth saying at the agm (and I hope I'm not mis quoting), that he didn't want H5 to become the new TGD,

No chance! H5 is effectively a one shot TGT extension play.

 

| Link | Share
extrader 17th Dec '12 1038 of 1284

Hi davjo,

Point taken re H5 .....but if it's not drilled until H1 2013 - and then needs 6 months of flow testing to make potential buyers feel comfortable re field characteristics - we could be looking at the latter part of 2013 for any monetisation re Soco VN ?

I 'm with kenobi here, that some news re dividend intentions would now be in order (as I think ee postulated sometime back in November -  his 972), esp. as this is one area that lies pretty much within the owner/managers 'gift'.

ATB

| Link | Share
davjo 17th Dec '12 1039 of 1284
5

ET

Point taken re H5 .....but if it's not drilled until H1 2013 - and then needs 6 months of flow testing to make potential buyers feel comfortable re field characteristics - we could be looking at the latter part of 2013 for any monetisation re Soco VN ?

I don't see it that way at all. It looks to me as if H5 will be drilled as a stand-alone jack-up job...too far away from H4 WHP, hence, optimum location available. Bearing in mind that they'll be pretty clued up as to the target horizons being the same as the other fault blocks (note it's classed as an appraisal well), it strikes me as a one off drill which either strikes or it doesn't. Yes, it could be an indeterminate teaser result but I couldn't see them revisiting for years if so. If it yields a commercial DST that'll be good enough imo for any buyer. As to 6 month testing, that won't be on offer because they won't have any means to offload the oil...no pipeline available. The only possibility I see of time spent beyond a single drill is perhaps an immediate follow up side-track, which in itself would only be perhaps 3 weeks?

 

| Link | Share
loglorry 17th Dec '12 1040 of 1284
2

If drilled with a jackup in fairly shallow water and could be done in 3-5 weeks it puzzles me what they are waiting for. The cost of a jackup for that period would be pretty small. Jackup day rates are what $100K with same again for manpower materials so say 30 days at 200K they could get the whole lot done for $6m and they don't have to pay the whole lot - only their share. All subject to rig availability obviously.

Seems like the obvious thing to do if there is a decent chance of H5 coming in as it will put that to bed quite quickly and in the scheme of a Vn or Company sale it is not particularly expensive.

Anyway I'm sure they know all this a lot better than we do (open goal for ee put down) ...

The flipside (always invert) might be they are not so confident or the partners don't want it drilled of course.

Log

| Link | Share | 1 reply
emptyend 17th Dec '12 1041 of 1284
2

In reply to kenobi, post #1036

on the one hand I would rather wait until conectivity can be proven, and they can sell up for a bumper price. On the other hand you have to wonder what the likelihood of that is.

...err....no we don't. We pay management to worry about that for us. All the vibes from mid-year onwards have been positive re the connectivity thesis - and if they now want more drilling to dot the i's and cross the t's for the sceptics, then I'm prepared to back a judgement that it is optimal to delay rather than cash out.

There have been two delays over the last 6 years in the route to the exit:

1) TGD upside potential - which was c 1bn bbls IF it could be made to flow and

2) the financial crisis.

Nothing could be done about the latter - and the former proved to be a technical challenge too far at present...and was protracted because it took time (at least 2 years longer than expected)  to discover that the geology was much more complex than hoped.

H5 is an analogue of the blocks further north - and, as dj says, it will either flow or it won't. The only remaining question is whether they can show any connectivity to H4 by observing the pressure in production wells at H4 whilst the H5 drilling/testing is done. There won't any extended testing.

ee

| Link | Share
emptyend 17th Dec '12 1042 of 1284
1

In reply to loglorry, post #1040

it puzzles me what they are waiting for.

Cyclone season is December to February! IMO it will be drilled as soon as the weather clears.

| Link | Share
loglorry 17th Dec '12 1043 of 1284

Ummm according to what I've found tropical Cyclones are October-early December and .. in April-May. Also Coastal Energy are having no problem drilling wells in the Gulf of Thailand ( a bit further away). They have just taken delivery of a new rig in fact. Could be wrong though. If not it would suggest a window of opportunity but I guess rig availability is important here.

http://www.terra-weather.com/summ_thv.html

Log

| Link | Share | 1 reply
kenobi 17th Dec '12 1044 of 1284
9

...err....no we don't. We pay management to worry about that for us. All the vibes from mid-year onwards have been positive re the connectivity thesis - and if they now want more drilling to dot the i's and cross the t's for the sceptics, then I'm prepared to back a judgement that it is optimal to delay rather than cash out.

My point is that everything has been pointing to this being proven by now,  (well sept originally but it's slipped), now if they want more drilling to dot i's and cross t's I'd like it explained as to what drilling is needed to prove this theory,  and how come the management is so convinced if they cannot convince the people carrying out the reserves update.   I'm struggling to understand what the issue is at the moment,  and while I'm open to further delays in cashing out,  I'm starting to wonder if they shouldn't announce that the accarage is for sale, and start the process of a sale.   It seems to me if this is the sort of thing that is likely to become clear during the period of a sale, (the block next door took 12 months to sell).   I'm not saying that they don't have good reasons why they want to do this,  they probably have.  But for most of the time I've held soco,  I have had a pretty good idea of what I was waiting for,  usually something to happen to monetise vietnam.  For a long time it was drilling tgd, or getting tgt into production,  or waiting for production data on tgt p2.   Now it's this connectivity proof.  But I have no idea what's required to prove this,  I had until recently thought that they would do the work needed as part of the reserves review,  now it seems not.  or that it will go on for an extended period.   I'm happy for the management to manage the company,  I'll manage my money though,  so all I'm asking is for explanation of what the path from here to monetising Vietnam is,  so that I can decide what I should do. I'm sure others here will want to make the same decisons for themselves.

Cheers K

 

| Link | Share | 1 reply

What's your view on this thread? to Comment Now

 
 
You are feeling neutral

Use the £ sign in front of a ticker to turn £VOD into Vodafone PLC

You can track all @StockoChat comments via Twitter

 Are SOCO International's fundamentals sound as an investment? Find out More »





Stock Picking Tutorial Centre


Related Content
DRC  Congo K
DRC - Congo (K)
SOCO International 26th May '09

Analysts reports
Analysts reports
SOCO International 6th Aug '09





Stock Picking Simplified

Stockopedia takes your stock picking to the next level with cutting edge Stock Reports & Screening tools.


Get started
or Take a Tour to find out more.