Registered:
14/04/10
Seen:
8:47am
Followers:
611

Comments
31
Articles
339

Real Name: Ben Hobson

Occupation: Journalist

Interests: Stocks

Twitter: @BenJamesHobson

Fantasy Fund: Ben's Fund

About Me:

Strategies Editor at Stockopedia. Writer, Editor & Investment Strategies Analysis. Test driving and telling the world about the awesome stock market investing tools and resources at Stockopedia. Helping Stockopedia subscribers take control, invest with confidence, beat the market and sleep soundly at night.



Investment Research

Stockopedia provides over 8000 Stock Reports that provide the key metrics that the fundamentally oriented investor needs to know to make actionable decisions.  

Find out More »


Ben Hobson's Latest Blogs

In recent weeks I’ve been experimenting with a year’s worth of market data to figure out which factors combined have produced the best total returns in dividend investing strategies. It’s fair to say that 12 months is a very limited test period, but what I have wanted to do is validate some ideas. With evidence of recent success, I’ll at least have a more confident…

A week of sliding prices that culminated in Monday’s vicious sell off highlighted the importance of having a plan in place to deal with market volatility. Tumbling portfolio values combined with a sense of panic in the market are a recipe for highly charged emotions. And it’s precisely at these moments that a checklist of rules can reduce the risk of making bad choices. With…

Last week I did some backtesting to find out whether a high dividend yield strategy could be improved using Stockopedia’s StockRanks. What this discovered was a 25 stock portfolio that notched up 1-year capital growth of 11% and an overall yield return of about 5%. While that 16% return was pleasing, there are other approaches to dividend investing that might help to improve those results.…

Over the past two years Stockopedia’s scoring and ranking of every company in the market has turned up some inspiring results. Shares with the greatest exposure to the key factors of Quality, Value and Momentum have performed very well on average. In fact, a quarterly rebalanced portfolio of the strongest 10% of stocks has delivered a return in excess of 70%. This is plainly an…

At Stockopedia part of our investing doctrine is grounded in the statistical evidence of long-term investment trends. One of those trends is that ‘value’ shares tend to outperform ‘glamour’ shares over time. It’s a phenomenon that’s routinely tested by researchers and almost always shows itself to be undeniable. The most recent of these studies has just been released by the Brandes Institute, an investment research…



Ben Hobson's Latest Comments

Hi Julian, It wasn't the same issue. We did send you a reply - perhaps have a hunt around in your email (I can always send it again). Sorry for being off-topic, but basically the list of stocks that you see on the Peter Lynch screen (and all the other screens) are the ones that qualify for the rules now. The tracked performance that you…

Hi David, It's an interesting one... the Gartmore Growth Fund originally bought the Put in September 2005 and it cost 1.6% of assets under management at the time, and the expiry was later extended at least once. But it raised eyebrows because Gervais was benchmarked against the FTSE SmallCap. When that index started falling in mid-2007, the FTSE 100 Put didn't have much of an…

Thanks Chipspa - noted, we're on the case.

Yeah, I'm with you on that. Peppa Pig, Ben & Holly and now Scooby Doo - I've got young kids and the interest in these things can be counted in years. And these pieces of plastic don't come cheap !

Hi Damian, No worries. Yes, it is been interesting watching how momentum plays with other factors. And I totally agree there have been (are) some great QM stocks around. Top across the market on our rankings is Howden Joinery. It has been a long time since that share ever looked cheap, but it looks great and the momentum is awesome (although it is quite an…

Ben Hobson's Top Awards 302




Ben Hobson Followers

Ben Hobson has 611 followers including:


MrT

and 603 more.
Let’s get you setup so you get the most out of our service
Done, Let's add some stocks
Brilliant - You've created a folio! Now let's add some stocks to it.

  • Apple (AAPL)

  • Shell (RDSA)

  • Twitter (TWTR)

  • Volkswagon AG (VOK)

  • McDonalds (MCD)

  • Vodafone (VOD)

  • Barratt Homes (BDEV)

  • Microsoft (MSFT)

  • Tesco (TSCO)
Save and show me my analysis
Foliobuilder