I attended today's meeting, following on from Carpathian's interim results, released today: http://fool.uk-wire.com/cgi-bin/articles/200909280700097287Z.html

I've divided this report into:

• Impressions & notes
  • Q&A
  • Miscellaneous
  • Conclusions

Impressions & Notes

Carpathian was represented by Paul Rogers & Balazs Cspregi.

Due to various comments made during the meeting, I felt that CPT’s management were responding to the wishes of their major shareholders, including CPT’s relationship with CAM. The chief thrust is to minimse risk to cash/equity and to realise assets as and when market conditions make this sensible. I am sure that Laxey (amongst others) will be keeping a very beady eye on their investment, via their nominated director, Andrew Shepherd.

Worth noting that there have been NO open market retail property transactions in the CEE region in the period under review. CPT’s Varyada disposal was the last such transacton. That means that any so-called market valuations of properties are currently spurious, IMO.

Regarding the dividend, whilst an initial payment is planned to be made this year, CPT was unable to confirm that the final part of the anticipated 8p dividend should be paid by May 2010, though they expect to have declared it by then.

Q&A

Note that the answers I’ve recorded are according to my understanding and are not verbatim.

Q1.      What do you envisage will happen with the non-core portfolio and what will the impact on equity be?

A1.      Carpathian acknowledged that some SPVs could go into administration.

My impression is that there is a strong chance that the Interfruct properties will (as a  minimum). However, any such decisions are subject to negotiation with CPT’s bankers and properties could be retained if sufficiently attractive terms can be negotiated. This makes the impact on equity hard to assess as it is not impossible (though unlikely) that CPT could inject some equity, if banks’ terms did allow some value to be realised.

CPT have been unable to make any progress on reletting the Interfruct properties (or putting them into a fit state for reletting), due to AIB’s intervention and procrastination.

Q2. What is the “amortisation” on the renegotiated Erste loan.

A2. This represents a repayment of principal on the loan

Q3.      Why has the “property operating expenses” line of the P&L risen sharply and what will the situation be going forward.

A3.      The increase is due to one-off factors including the…

Unlock the rest of this article with a 14 day trial

Already have an account?
Login here