I have two items on my SIF portfolio agenda this week. First, I fear I may have to invoke my rarely-used stop-loss rule on floor covering distributor Headlam (LON:HEAD) – although this small cap hasn’t issued a profit warning, its shares have delivered a sorry performance so far this year.

The second item is a FTSE 100 bank that’s new to my screening results as a possible buy. Asia-focused Standard Chartered (LON:STAN) surprised the market with a strong set of numbers recently, but still looks cheap to me against a global backdrop of rising interest rates. I’m interested to learn more.

Headlam (LON:HEAD)

(Buy report: 13 October 2021)

As a brief reminder, in 2020 I introduced a stop-loss rule to the portfolio, requiring me to sell stocks after they’d dropped by 25%. No explanation is required – the rule is simply to sell following a 25% share price fall.

SIF’s Headlam position has been flirting with the 25% threshold for weeks, but has now made a decisive move lower.

pzzjai_Ph8xal0TTkINZv1IxpbTDiBmVUnFXLA9l-Wps1fJkfnwLjOMKcrQCPJifWE2tO0xh_tffFdUxRrUA5CFrD28UhJrIpndZMWdyHMBoJ0UnmzycipYUN69dbkOk2EouHz7Ip50x8T6sbw

The portfolio’s position is showing a 35% drawdown at the time of writing, making it the portfolio’s biggest loser:

jzr82sHqct5SQKjhufKJPtIhOpOQwe0WcF-7fFs74ihQPF-cnmkFaxpOwzJWMFGIZr4a8NLhoYzBQWGPvNt-8oTLTuIbyrhS0ytLI8SqhKBTJxR2qIfvGtROIW7rdiSyt4F-lmvdYA-hp90hOg

Finsbury Food (LON:FIF) is also on the cusp of triggering a stop-loss sale. If the current market sell-off continues, I can see further possible casualties, too.

Why is Headlam falling? This business has not issued a trading update since its final results on 9 March, which Paul covered here.

My view on this business is positive and the stock looks attractively valued to me. But rightly or wrongly, the market seems to be pricing in a UK slowdown, perhaps paired with pressures from cost inflation and supply chain problems.

Even if the UK economy avoids a recession, I think it’s easy to imagine a sharp reduction in home improvement spending this year, now that holiday travel is fully reopened.

There’s always a risk that company-specific issues will emerge, too. I don’t think this is likely, based on Headlam’s track record. But with a boardroom reshuffle underway, it’s not impossible either.

My decision: I will sell Headlam from SIF and my personal holdings this week. Although an AGM update is due on 19 May, I’ve decided not to wait any longer.

Unlock the rest of this article with a 14 day trial

or Unlock with your email

Already have an account?
Login here