Gray puts some questions to Rheochem on their plans
There has been a lot going on at Rheochem (LON:RHEP) lately, with them acquiring a number of licences in the UK’s 26th licensing round, and the continued progress towards production of Athena, which will give them production of an initial 2,000 bopd by the year. But there were questions about whether they could finance their part of the large capital spend at Athena, as just recently in their interims they stated that they required a further US$14m, which was more than many were expecting. But they also stated they were conduction a review into their current business, with this review just being released. With the results being that they have decided to sell their mud oil service business, providing them with A$45m (about £28m, but only A$23.45m will be paid up front, the rest will be performance based), meaning their financing issues finally appear to be solved.
By selling their mud business though Rheochem are turning themselves into a completely different business, as rather than being an oil services company with a E&P business, they will become a full out E&P company. Because of this they have decided to change their name to Lochard Energy. But all these changes, and the many things going on led me to feel that a little bit more information was needed about what was going on, with me putting some questions to them, which their CEO, Haydn Gardner very kindly answered:
DGW: I note in your interims, you state you still require US$14m in regards to the capex spend on Athena. Could I just ask why so much is required, as from my calculations using the total capex figure given by Ithaca Energy ($220m), having a 10% stake would put the total requirement at $22m, therefore only $8m would be needed. So has the capex been increased? Or is the rest of the money needed for something else? If so could I ask what thanks? (I note you mention it funds could be used towards impending court costs)
HG: The original cost was around $210 million which assumed a rented subsea bundle of pipes and umbilical cables. A final decision was made to purchase this equipment rather than rent it. This pushed the capex up to $280m but reduced corresponding operating costs
DGW: I note also in your interims that you are conducting mapping on a number of your exploration fields, so can I ask when you expect this to be completed? Also what are you hoping to gain from this mapping process, possible drilling targets, or just more information to try to get some partners to invest?
HG: Some of the blocks contain previous discoveries . Mapping of these will help to understand why these wells did not flow as expected or were not tested. This process will involve the purchase of existing seismic and some new seismic. The previous discoveries are the highest priority. The plan is to see what the new information tells us and then decide which blocks to keep, farm out and drill.
DGW: Will the sale provide the money to meet all of your current plans on the exploration front?
HG: The money from the sale meets the current plans for the Athena development and acquisition of previously shot seismic to further evaluate the other blocks. It also provides working capital to run the company until we have revenues from Athena production.
DGW: What are you plans for the money, if you have more than you need at current?
HG: Excess funds will be held in reserve whist we evaluate the existing portfolio. The decision to shoot new seismic or drill will be made after the initial evaluation of the blocks.
DGW: Also, being an exploration company do you see yourself requiring more funds anytime soon, or is it too early to say?
HG: We should have sufficient funds to develop Athena and evaluate our other blocks. Athena production revenues in conjunction with the anticipated earn out should provide sufficient funds to shoot more seismic and/or drill an appraisal well should we choose to do so. Ideally we would prefer to farm out some of the exploration and appraisal blocks to reduce our cost exposure. More funds would only be required if we wished to escalate an aggressive drilling campaign involving several wells. This is not a current plan.
DGW: Can I ask when you require the US$14m by?
HG: We require $14m over the next 8 months with costs biased towards the end for major equipment items. The sale of the fluids business will cover the cost estimates for Athena
DGW: Finally can I ask, in regards to the court case which starts on October 2011, how long do you expect this court case to last, are you expecting a swift conclusion or is it more likely to be drawn out?
HG: We expect the court case to take about 8 days. If found in our favour we expect a quick resolution otherwise we could appeal which may drag it out longer. In that scenario, we would expect Athena revenues and the second tranche of proceeds from the sale of the fluids business to pay any settlement. We still maintain our position on resolving this issue in our favour.
END
Conclusion
To conclude, with the financing secure, and Athena still on track, just on Athena they seem good value on a market cap of £40m, and if any of their exploration assets come good then the upside could be enormous. Therefore they still warrant a place in the potential company changing news section of Grays Stocks to Watch.
Disclaimer
This is not financial advice. Our content is intended to be used and must be used for information and education purposes only. Please read our disclaimer and terms and conditions to understand our obligations.

13 comments
Just following up on this thread.
Lochard have now announced the result of the Senergy UK/Zeus Litigation.
Lochard is considering its options (may appeal) and will announce further in due course.
Agreed that it is interesting DJP. IIRC Ithaca's McKendrick spoke about wanting an acquisition to add 4000bopd to Ithaca's production.
Zeus (Lochard) have 10% of the licence and Ithaca Energy (LON:IAE) currently 22%. I think that the expected flow rates would mean Zeus having ~2200bopd and Ithaca ~4400bopd.
One would have thought any potential suitor would want closure on the court case before deciding however...
Oh yes - that case is the one thing that led to me holding off as it did look cheap with the Athena stake, the sale of the Reochem business and the other assets but lawyers being lawyers.......
Revisiting this old thread (with RHEP now known as Lochard Energy Group (LON:LHD) )
Lochard Energy Group (LON:LHD) has just announced a possible offer for the company.
They also announced their figures this morning
Interesting time for a potential bid with Athena approaching first oil (by end of the year). Wonder if it is any of the Athena partners? Woudlnt suprise me if it was Ithaca....
Well, RHEP have announced an interesting farm out on six of their N Sea blocks with PGS.
Extract:
Its certainly one to watch but with the legal case outstanding, its no more than that at the moment, for me anyway.
No problem. I have dipped my toe in here and will look to add on weakness and after I've got my head around the court case. Worth noting the relinquishment report below for a better scope on 'thunderball' prospect:
https://www.og.decc.gov.uk/UKpromote/relinqs/P731.pdf
Thanks for that, very interesting read, and to see how they come to their value of 25p. Also their prospects from the exploration wells looks even greater than I orginally thought, as if even one comes good it could be truly transformational. Its just to bad about this court case lingering over them. Just to note heres there website for anyone wanting to read it, just go to investor relations, then broker reports and click on the top one:
http://www.rheochem.com.au/
Sorry didn't check the link. Go to the investor relations section on website and then broker notes. Works for me from there.
Broker note below:
http://www.rheochem.com.au/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=68&Itemid=78
That link says you need to be logged into to access it, could you show what is says over here please? Thanks.
Ah yes, sorry about that Gray, somehow I missed your question on the court case when I read through.
Agree with your conclusion though, no case = value play, court case = high risk/reward.
Once again, apols for being a numpty.
Darron
An interesting discussion Gray.
On the face of it RHEP is one to watch given the portfolio and cash but if I recall there is still a legal battle ongoing with regard to Zeus:
It is that which makes it a one to watch for me rather than anythign else.
Right you are djpreston, that is what the last question was in regards to, to try to get an idea for the length of time before it is resolved:
DGW: Finally can I ask, in regards to the court case which starts on October 2011, how long do you expect this court case to last, are you expecting a swift conclusion or is it more likely to be drawn out?
HG: We expect the court case to take about 8 days. If found in our favour we expect a quick resolution otherwise we could appeal which may drag it out longer. In that scenario, we would expect Athena revenues and the second tranche of proceeds from the sale of the fluids business to pay any settlement. We still maintain our position on resolving this issue in our favour.
It is of course an issue, and is one of the reason's for the low share price, and I should of mentioned it in my conclusion, and apologise for not doing so, as it is an important factor to take not of, as though the company is confident in its defence, and it does sound like they have a strong reason to be confident, there can never be a gaurentee of a good outcome. This is why I see them as a risky play, as without the court case at their current price they would like be a value buy, but with it, they are a high risk high reward play.